August Break: Favorite Recipe -- Classic Spaghetti & Meatballs


Classic Spaghetti & Meatballs  --6-8 servings

It's difficult to choose just ONE favorite recipe. But this is made with some frequency at our house. This recipe is my take on an excellent recipe for sauce & meatballs I was given many years ago.

** NOTE: I use a slow-cooker for this recipe, but you can easily cook the meatballs and sauce in a large saucepan for about the same time, stirring occasionally. I've used US measurements. If you need other measurement, try this Online Cooking Conversion. **

Sauce:
4 x 15 oz cans chopped tomatoes--blend in a blender to make a fine passata (tomato sauce)
1  small, 6 oz. can tomato paste
3 garlic cloves (whole, peeled--add to the sauce whole, but remove at the end of cooking time)
2 bay leaves
4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
salt & pepper, to taste

Place all sauce ingredients in the bowl of a slow-cooker. Make meatballs...

Meatballs:
1 1/2 lbs ground meat (I used half pork, and half beef)
2 eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tblsp dried parsley
1 large fresh garlic clove, grated or finely minced
1 cup plain, fine bread crumbs
salt & pepper, to taste

Combine meatball ingredients in a bowl, and shape into balls about 1-inch in size. Brown the meatballs--on a parchment-lined bake tray--in the oven at 375 F / 190 C for about 25 minutes, turning halfway during the cooking time. Add meatballs to the sauce in the slow-cooker, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or LOW for 6-8 hours.  Serve with spaghetti, or pasta of choice.

I'm participating in Susannah Conway's month-long community photo project August Break...


Comments

  1. Hi Tracy, thank you for sharing this recipe! Stevie loves meatballs yet I rarely make them. But your recipe has inspired me much to give it another try. Stevie is delighted to hear it :-) jumping here next to me. Have a wonderful day! Hugs Jitka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks dilettevole! Looks like the perfect recipe for this weekend! Thank you for sharing.
    Oh, and now I know what 'laurierblad' is in English: bay leaf (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun with words and languages, isn't it, Simone?! The Norwegian word for bay leaf similar to your Dutch--laurbærblad.

    Oh, I'm so happy your little Stevie is happy about meatballs, Montik! LOL... This recipe really is pretty easy. Once you make the meatballs, the sauce takes care of rest. A little bit of time, but so worth it. And it makes lots--good for putting the freezer for busy day "no time for cooking"! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an excellent idea to freeze some Tracy! I never freeze food and I do not know why ... There are many days it would save me exhaustion from having to cook in the evenings ... Will write soon! Big hugs!

      Delete
  4. oh mama mio! yummino!
    LOL!
    my own italian word for 'delicious!'
    oh.
    i guess that would be deliciousioso! the real word for it.
    you get the picture. XOXOXO♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm! I was wondering whether you would use metric. Today I made a recipe from England and had to weight everything on the metric scale. I really don't mind. I made plum buns. On the Flickr group I shared my mothers recipe for peanut brittle and also a picture of a marionberry pie I made.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Tammy--your Italian inspired word... Yummino... I LOVE that! I may have to borrow that one! ;o)


    Marilyn--I do use metric for cooking & baking often, as that's what's used here. But the majority of recipes I cook/bake with and search for are after US measures. And I have a sweet US measuring cup & such I use all the time... Your plum buns sound DELICIOUS! I make an English-style Christmas Cake every year, and that is in metric...mmm... I fancy something sweet to eat now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious Tracy. Very similar to the recipe I use and I also use half pork and half beef. I think I got the original from a tin of Hunts tomato sauce, when my kiddies were really small and I have tweaked it and tweaked it through the years! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, yes, the red sauce! I've tried many and few have failed to please :-) Like you, I like to make enough to freeze in varying sizes (meal for one or two).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment