Gentle afternoon light... but maybe not the best photos... I apologize for not having a decent photo of myself wearing this creation I've sewn recently. This tunic top was meant to be a new little lovely to wear to Mass for Easter, but it was too cold to wear this--even with a long-sleeved top under it. But happy to say I've worn it a few times now... still with a top underneath. And this tunic top needs a top worn underneath no matter the season! For in truth, this top does not fit me perfectly, and is a bit too big around the neckline and sleeves--so a top underneath helps. This tunic really ended up being a somewhat-wearable muslin.
This tunic is largely based on the popular Dottie Angel Frock/Dress pattern created by Tif Fussell--crafter/textile designer of Dottie Angel fame (A great podcast of Tif can be found at Woolful--a podcast/blog for fiberfolk.)
Anyway... much as I fell in love with the sort of retro style of the Dottie Angel Frock, and itched to buy the pattern, once I had the pattern to work with, I found the pattern VERY confusing at times. Some of the construction steps and techniques just seemed strange to me. Quickly I realized that the dress option was NOT going to look good on me, and even the tunic option in the pattern was not working out well. So I did some improvising. I like the tucks on the bodice! But I don't like the ties. The "skirt" of the tunic is a bit much, and tied in the back it feels like there's too much of a swath of fabric going around me. I didn't like the bias tape method in which a lot of the seams where handled, so I changed that. I also created a facing for the neckline, which worked better for me. The "sleeves" don't seem like sleeves to me, and really don't offer much coverage of the upper arm. With this tunic I really need to have a top under it! I want to reshape the sleeves and try this tunic again. There is potential here! I have other ideas to tweak this top too--hopefully--fit and suit me better. What I LOVE are the French seams along the sides of the tunic--love French seaming! To make this tunic took about 2 yards/meters of fabric. I can't find a link to this fabric. It is an old Moda print cotton from some years back that's been in my stash a while.
The very neutral color/print of the top almost disappears into the wallpaper--ha! Here's a close up of the delicate floral/leaf-like print in beige tones and white... and a little froth of lace for hem trim.
P.S. Next on the "chopping block" is this a piece of natural linen which I'll be using to make some new bread bags for the kitchen.