May: the month of Mary


During Lent I worked on reconstructing this Rosary of olive wood beads which belongs to my Daddy. It was in pieces and fallen apart, and which I shared about here, along with the happiness of putting it back together again. I had a few requests for a photo of the completed Rosary. I thought now, the month of May, was a great chance to show this Rosary, as the month of May in the Roman Catholic faith is dedicated to Mary--Our Lady, The Blessed Virgin--Mother of God. (Last summer I offered this photo/link post with image of my favorite pink crystal Rosary. Yes, I have more than one Rosary! ;) To learn more about The Holy Rosary, stop by this lovely site.


During this Marian month, prayer, the praying of the Rosary, and veneration of Mary happens in churches and in the homes of the faithful. I've been delighting in some extra time at church praying the Rosary together with others. Very much I credit The Blessed Virgin Mary for her intercession and prayers in bringing me back to the Catholic Church, the faith of my childhood!

For some extra Marian celebration, I made these (pictured above), what I call homemade prayer cards. I use them as bookmarks in my Bible. The Marian art is clip art  modeled on vintage prayer cards, which I found online.

To honor Mary... here are the words to one of the four beautiful Marian antiphons we sing at church. This one, Salve Regina (in Latin first, followed by English translation), we sing now after Pentecost and through the months to come, until just before Christmas

Salve, Regina
Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae;
vita, dulcedo et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae.
Ad te suspiramus gementes et flentes
in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia ergo, advocata nostra,
illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte.
Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
O clemens, o pia, o dulcis Virgo Maria.


Hail, holy Queen
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. 
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ!


May is such a wonderful month--for so many reasons! Do you have anything special happening this month?! 









P.S. Also in the making lately I have a new crochet project just started on the hook--a bag for summer! Details on my Summer Stripe Bag on my Ravelry page--link in sidebar... 


Comments

  1. Tracy, youve been so busy creating the most amazing things, and thank you for sharing the finished and mended rosary beads. I loved the Mass in Latin, and seeing those words made me realise just how much, I'd love to go to a mass said in Latin like the old days! (oops showing my age here!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your other post on the rosary. It's beautiful and so very meaningful. I find it fascinating to learn about all sorts of religious traditions so this was very interesting to me. I've seen prayer cards before - I love the idea of making yours and using them as the book marks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ME ENCANTAN LAS ESTAMPITAS.
    TENIA MUCHAS EN MI INFANCIA.
    SON PRECIOSAS.
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've put your jewelry making skills to work in this restoration project. Yes, May is definitely a favorite month - the weather's still cool and spring growth still mostly pristine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful job you have done with your father's rosary Tracy. I would love to have a rosary. I need to find one. Maybe you could start a new business making rosaries, like you did your jewelry. I also love the bag you are making. The colours are lovely. Love and hugs to you and TJ. Hope you are enjoying some sunny weather! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing the finished rosary. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment