February Reading


This month my reading is mostly spiritual in nature, and several of those books I'm currently reading are ones I've borrowed from the library. With Lent fast approaching, my heart, mind, body and spirit are very much turning toward the Lenten season of the Catholic calendar--what I'd like to focus on, pray on, and live...

Liv Laga by Per Arne Dahl, who is a pastor and bishop of the Norwegian State Church (Den norske kirke), which foundations are in Lutheranism. Occasionally I go outside the Catholic box with my spiritual reading. I've read other of Dahl's books, finding great inspiration for my spiritual life. My English translation of this title would loosely be: The Worth of Living. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to his books in English... perhaps he's not translated into English, which is a pity...

Lenger inn i b√łnnens landskap by Wilfrid Stinissen, another book I'm reading in a Norwegian translation from the original Swedish. My English translation of this title would be: Deeper into the Landscape of Prayer. Stinissen is a Carmelite monk and author (born in Belgium, but residing in Sweden) who writes profoundly and encouragingly on cultivating a richer interior life in the Catholic faith tradition. Some of his books have been translated into English, but most not.

Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta. This book is a wonderful revelation that chronicles Saint Teresa of Calcutta's personal spiritual journey in all it's highs and lows. Her deep life of love of Jesus and service to others, and especially the poor, hugely inspires me! I'm reading this book in the Norwegian translation.

The Public Library: a photographic essay by Robert Dawson. To mix up the reading a bit, I've borrowed this--a beautiful and often poignant photographic exploration--almost a pilgrimage--among the many, many, many public libraries all across America!

Also this month I'm continuing my reading of The Broken Way: A Daring Path into the Abundant Life by Ann Voskamp, along with its Study Guide... both of which I'm savoring in connection with The Broken Way Bible Study.  (No image of these, as I have both of these books on my iPad/Kindle app.)

This is a lot of inner life to chew on! But what about you? What book(s) is/are on your nightstand, on coffee table, in your bag, or on your tablet/device? Any recommendations?! 



Comments

  1. Thats quite a reading list there Tracy, and they all sound very interesting, I may look up the ones that have links. Yes, with Lent approaching it will be upon us before we know it as Feb is such a short month. I'm not reading, but writing . . . I've joined the local writers club and my goodness am I enjoying it! three hours once a week, certainly giving my brain a work out! I love your photo . . . looks very cosy and inviting, a lovely place to sit and enjoy all those books. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY exciting your local writer's group/club! Let me know how you get on with that, as I'll be eager to hear more about it--have FUN! :)

      Delete
  2. Very impressed, Tracy, by your reading list. And you reading these books in Norwegian. Too bad the first two books are not translated. They sound very comforting. It is good, to think our of your spiritual box, I think. Other thoughts can bring lots of support and love too in your life. Touching you in a different way.
    Enjoy your preparations to Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be frustrating when I can't find a link in English to something here... but not everything is translated, not all author's works are translated into English. I'm sometimes reluctant to add a lot of info like this post has, when I can't do links... but this is what I'm reading now, so it's fun to share!

      Delete
  3. My reading is neither so thoughtful or so deep but it is plentiful and diverse. After starting the year with a bio of my favorite composer, Stephen Sondheim, I went back to two Deborah Crombie mysteries (I'm reading one now) and Susan Branch's WONDERFUL (highly recommended) journey through England, "A Fine Romance." It's a delight design-wise and content-wise, especially if you like stepping into English gardens, the countryside and country houses.

    I shouldn't be surprised that you can read Norwegian -- you've been there so long. Yet those seem pretty intense to read in that language. Your selections sound very meaningful. (And that photo is terrific.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie! It goes OK reading in Norwegian, most of the time. I go a little slower than I normally might read, and a dictionary for translation help is usually nearby, but it goes! I like Susan Branch's work lot too! I have yet to read A Fine Romance and her newest offering, Martha's Vineyard-Isle of Dreams. These are books I can't get in libraries here... so Kindle wish-list. ;)

      Delete
  4. how I love mother theresa. I will have to check on that one for sure.
    my favorite for spiritual strength renewal is anything by mhomas merton. I have many of his books. but I especially love 'through the year with thomas merton.'
    and I like and re~read all of dr wayne dyer's books.
    and the beloved dalai lama. I love his writing too.
    my spiritual life is definitely eclectic! but I think that's important in a way. one mountain... many paths.
    and I love that you're responding to comments now! it makes it feel like a real conversation! :D XOXO♥
    hugs to sweet little luna! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Tammy! All your favorites are my favorites too! ;) I've long had a deep love of the writings of Thomas Merton... he inspired me so much. I've been trying to respond more to comments right here. Some folks are set as no reply, so it's harder to respong like that.... but thankfully most friends who visits here regularly, I already have their emails addresses. It's nice to have ways to keep the conversations going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy reading dear friend. Some of your reading looks heavier than I think I could do right now in the middle of winter. Isn't it amazing that Lent will soon be here. I was just thinking that about Easter coming too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment