Beauty and Bread


"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." --John Muir

The eloquent words of the great naturalist and environmental philosopher John Muir are perfect for right now, as there is a lot of beauty and bread happening here! Beauty... so much spring beauty surrounding us at the moment. It is a gift! The top image is of an apple tree in the garden of TJ's parents. It is just completely covered in blossoms!! Frothy waves of white... Our own trees didn't have too many blooms this year, sadly. Neither did our other fruit trees. We have several very old fruit trees, two apple trees, two pear trees, and two plum trees. May is such a lovely month. The days so sweet with so much unfurling, growing and reaching for the sun...


Behind the scenes of all the outdoor beauty, indoors there's been beauty of a different kind taking shape. During the second half of May I've been learning the art of baking bread. Good bread. And I've been doing this with the help of an online course via Craftsy, Artisan Bread in Minutes. I've baked bread before, but not often, and sometimes with mixed results. For a couple of months now I've slowly been focusing on baking with yeast, and learning how to bake better bread. I'm still working with the material for the course I'm taking, as there is a lot to it, and trying it all a bit at a time. It's also given me confidence though, to try recipes beyond the course. The other day I baked this braided loaf, which was delicious! Homemade bread...what a precious gift. I feel God very close to me when I am baking, also a very beautiful gift.

Sooo... These days if you need me, I'm either in the garden, or the kitchen! ;)

Wishing you all days of beauty and blessings... and enough bread for the journey...


Comments

  1. Spring is such a beautiful time of year. We finally have some warm weather here and it is so lovely. It is an awakening time of year for all of God's creations. I love homemade bread and it is something I hope to get back to making after we finish our mission. You are inspiring me with your thoughts today. I love the thoughts of days of beauty and blessings ....and enough bread for the journey. Just lovely!
    Warm blessings for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you & yours, too, LeAnn! I hope you'll have much beauty and bread to enjoy! :) The bread baking has been so much fun, now I'm concentrating more on it and doing it properly. Next up is French-style breads, which is very exciting. TJ is VERY glad of this new development in the kitchen and sampling my "lessons" in baking! ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blossom! I love the smell of fresh baked bread! Happy week to you TRacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dutchcomfort, thanks for visiting. And happy days to you, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Your bread looks fabulous, Tracy. Rick's the bread person in our family and he does it well. It's a mixed blessing -- better than regular bread (but so good it's hard to stop eating it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love quotes from John Muir! Wish I could come and find you in the garden or kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This course was well worth the cost as your breads have looked amazing. Happy baking! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracy! I recognise the cloth under your bread! You made me some lovely napkins using that same material! I love them. I am playing catch up today as with illness, holidays, etc I have not done a lot of blog reading. I know what you mean about baking bread. There is something very "Mother Earth" about the whole process! Love and hugs to you all! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment