Lemon Lady Grey Tea Cake ... a sweet offering and recipe




Tea... for so long, I've thrilled each day to enjoying a cup of tea! I think it was in my late teens/early 20's though, that I became seriously interested in tea and tasting different kinds of teas. Learning about where they come from, and how they are blended. As well as what to eat while drinking them! For a very long time I've had a special fondness for the English way of taking tea. A pot, or cup, of tea paired with a small savory to eat, followed by something sweet adds delight to the afternoon. And helps the body and spirit go a little longer towards day's end!

Cooking and baking with tea is also a lot of fun, and yields surprising and tasty results. It's been a while since I've shared a recipe, so thought I 'd share this one that I created and baked the past weekend, as a little something to revive us during lots of garden work. Because I have to watch how much caffeine I drink daily, I take only two cups of full-caffeine tea per day, and drink water and herbal teas the rest of the time. Tea with a sweet treat is something TJ & I often share, and is usually a highlight of most of our weekends. We love a proper tea time!


It has been a full week here, so I've not been able to put together another Friday This Week post. With full spring now, there has been more to do in the garden and at home. We can finally put away winter clothes, coats, scarves and gloves--HOORAY! And there was extra church-going--yesterday having been the Feast of the Ascension of Our Lord. Next week we turn the calendar to June, and soon summer. I will try to continue to offer the Friday posts as often as I can, as I know many of you do enjoy them. They take some time and photos to prepare though, and so I may have some shortened forms of those round-up posts occasionally. But for today, a little sweet offering...  
 

Lemon Lady Grey Tea Cake --makes 1 loaf cake
3 Lady Grey tea bags (I like Twinings Lady Grey blend)
1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk for better flavor)
1/2 cup butter, melted and allowed to cool
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of one lemon, divided--set aside a little for garnish
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon honey

Glaze:
1 cup confectioner's/icing sugar (I like a LOT of glaze! ;)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
--reserved lemon zest

Baking Instructions:

1. Gently heat the milk in a small saucepan until just under boiling point. Remove from heat. Add two Lady Grey tea bags to the milk, and steep for 20-30 minutes. Remove the tea bags. Cut open the remaining tea bag, and add the tea leaves to the tea-milk mixture.

2. Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C, and butter a 9" x 5" loaf pan.

3. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest, set aside.

4. Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and honey. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture. Add the tea-infused milk mixture, and blend well.

5. Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Test if done with a toothpick. If the top of the cake is browning too quickly, cover with a piece of aluminum foil. Cool cake in pan for 10-15 minutes on a wire rack. Turn cake out onto the rack, and allow to cool completely before glazing.

6. Mix together the confectioner's/icing sugar and lemon juice, and drizzle over the cooled cake. Sprinkle top of cake with lemon zest to garnish. Allow the glaze to set a little bit before slicing and serving. Brew a pot, or cup, of tea and enjoy!


**For other baking measurements, try Online Conversion, the Cooking Conversion page is very helpful.**

Wishing you all a LOVE-ly weekend now... and with something sweet in the mix! ;)


Comments

  1. Your cake looks lovely Tracy! I might give it a go! I'd have to buy the tea first. I will look for it. Its an unsual combination! Love that you also add the real tea leaves to infuse the milk. This is a very busy time of year. I know how much is involved in putting together a blog post. Some of mine take hours and hours, but labors of love they are. I hope you have a beautiful weekend. Love and hugs to you, TJ and Luna! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know if you try the recipe, Marie...you are a chef, so any ideas would be most welcome! The lemon pairs so well with the Lady Gret tea, as Ladt Grey has a hint of citrus in the blend, which is why I prefer it to Earl Grey. We loved this cake, and I'll be making it again! ;) Blogging is surely a labor of love, and well worth all of it. Though, I don't know how you manage to write at your blogs every single day... you are a wonder! :)))

      Delete
  2. This looks really delish, Tracy. I don't see Lady Grey around here often. Would it work with other teas? I don't really know what makes Lady Grey different -- sweeter? Fruitier? Lighter? I wonder if you couldn't do it with that if Lemon tea would work? Do tell!

    I love your Friday posts, but I just love it when you post, period, so whether it's a recipe or recap, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could send you some Lady Grey tea if you'd like to try it, Jeanie?! The blend of Lady Grey tea is similar to Earl Grey in the it is a black tea blend scented with oil of bergamot, which gives Earl Grey it's very distinctive fragrance. Lady Grey has a lighter edge though, in that it also has citrus in its blend--lemon and citrus peels. (I've seen some Lady Grey loose leaf blends that also have lovely pieces of blue cornflower, making it a very pretty tea.) I feel that's why the additon of lemon to the citrus-y Lady Grey in this cake really works. But Earl Grey tea would work. And I'm keen to try the recipe again using a green tea with lemon added! I think any tea with an interesting blend has the potential to work really well. Let me know if you play with the recipe! :)

      Delete
  3. The photos of the sweets looks so good. I usually only drink herbal teas. I do think the recipe looks like a yummy one. Thanks! Blessings and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I intend to give this one a go xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll enjoy the tea cake, Snoopydog! Let me know how it went. This was my first run with this recipe, and it turned out really well. But I'd welcome any feedback! :)

      Delete
  5. I have heard many times of this tea cake, but just never getting around to making it. So glad you enjoyed it. It sounds delicious with tea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment