The First Garden Days


Garden days begin! During the weekend we suddenly jumped from very gentle spring time to a taste of summer. Saturday was deliciously warm! After breakfast we took a trip to one of our local garden centers...





Garden centers have become much, much more than just flowers, plants and garden tools... they've become hybrid shops with everything from indoor/outdoor furniture and soft furnishings are offered, to indoor/outdoor decorations, candles,coffee mugs and bath & home-spa products!





Flowers! We purchased just a few flowers, as it is early in the season yet. Evenings and nights are still cold sometimes. In the car we toted home a big pink pelargonium plant, an English lavender ("Hidcote"), and little pot of bright pink daisies. Also some light purple pansies for our patio table.



Back home in our garden... This year we are trying some small raised beds for herbs and salads. We set up two beds during the weekend, and we'll add a third one next week. Soil is prepared. We just need plants and seeds. And some more warm and sunny days! The flowers we brought home from the garden center where potted and watered. 


We have strawberries! Our very kind neighbors next door gave us several strawberry plants...so  we'll have home-grown strawberries this summer! 


Al fresco and abundance... We enjoyed our first al fresco meals of the season this past weekend. Fresh air and sunshine seem to awaken the appetite even more, and food just seems to taste even better when its taken outdoors.

May is such a beautiful and exciting month in the garden. There is so much to be thankful for, as each day something new and different is happening, growing, flowering and green-ing outside. We very much look forward to summer days ahead!



Comments

  1. I just loved seeing your garden centre, it looks very similar to the ones we have here, also a mish mash of things other than just pots and plants. I must say I am totally in love with those huge cacti! I've always loved them! Loved seeing your photos! I also happen to love pansies they look so friendly dont they? We actually had an alfresco meal last night in a restuarant, highly unusual for us over here at this time of the year which is supposed to be winter, but its still hot- ish this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always I've loved pansies and violets for their happy, smiling little faces! The cacti at the garden center were HUGE! I'd never seen ones as big as there for home use... they looked straight froma desert scene... LOL!

      Delete
  2. how very lovely! it's such a blessing that you have a garden! it's one thing that we don't have (we have no outdoor space at all other than half a driveway and half of a garage) and someday I hope that my Husband will have a garden again, even though it means, one day/someday, moving. We have a potted white rose plant though inside and a few other flowers and that's really nice! enjoy all the blessings of May! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY much hope you & your husband have a garden some day. :) Our little patch here brings us a lot of happy, as well as good for the health and fitness. ;) I haven't tried a rose potted indoors before... should try that, as we've had variable success with roses in the garden--great idea! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post, Tracy. Your garden center is lovely -- loads of temptation, isn't there?! The pansies, of course, are my favorites but I love all the pretties you bought. And I'm impressed with your raised beds and strawberry plants. I was disappointed when Rick's didn't make it (the third year -- I think they were planted in a bad spot). Maybe new plants, new place. My lettuce is starting to come up and Rick's spinach and peas. Almost time to thin the plants, which is so good in a salad! And herbs. My thyme is going crazy, which makes me happy because I'd be happy if it wiped out everything else in that little spot.

    Oh SPRING! Don't you love it?! (Bravo for al fresco. We're still waiting for that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden centers are wonderful, and I have a weakness for them... TJ's wallet gets nervous when we go to one... haha! ;) You have some delicious goodies growing there in your patch...wishing you an abundant harvest! :)))

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite things to do in the late spring or early summer is to go shopping at a garden center. I love all the beautiful flowers and outdoor furniture and decor. So fun to dream of what I would like to do in our yard. We will be shopping soon to get some flowers planted in our yeard. We will probably just have a patio garden this year with some tomatoes and a few other plants. We just don't have time to do a bigger garden but next year we plan on doing some raised gardens too.
    All of your photos are so lovely and they gave me some inspiration for some things to try here.
    Sending warm loving thoughts your way with blessings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnn... And so glad you found some inspiration... it's always fun to share! :) We've never had much success with tomatoes. The growing season is so short here, and we'd ideally need a green house to grow good tomatoes, I think.

      Delete
  5. Oh what fun to have a garden and watch all the seeds and starters grow! You've reminded me that I need to get down to our garden center and see what's blooming. You're so right about how there is more than just plants now to see at the garden centers. Our's has a wonderful tea/ cafe where I like to have tea and something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo... a garden center with a cafe/tea room... that's what we need over here!! Hope you get out see to see some flowers, and sip some tea... :)

      Delete
  6. I love seeing the work you are doing in the garden. Oh, garden centers are so dangerous. Smiling! We always come home with more than we planned and then have to figure out where we will put it in the garden. I loved the visit to your garden center. It does look wonderful and so many temptations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. same here, Marilyn... more always comes home than planned or on the list. One never knows before hand what lovelies to be found, and so it's easy to go off-list! ;)

      Delete
  7. Tracy, I love to go to the Garden Centre. But so dangerous as I always spend a bomb! Everything always looks so promising! Your garden looks beautiful and I can't wait to ee it once everything really starts growing! Oh to see it in person . . . sigh . . . one can but dream! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment