This Week... special pleasures


This Week... We have a special family occasion to go to this weekend! It'll be a nice opportunity to wear my Norwegian traditional costume, a bunad (pronounced boo-naad, with a long a). Some of you who've been on the journey with me a while, you might remember this costume. Mine is a Gudbrandsdalens Festbunad, which basically means the party dress representing Gudbrandsdalen, the area where my father-in-law comes from. You can see more photos of the dress and accessories here.  It is worn with a long-sleeved white cotton blouse and special silver jewelry. I did a lot of the embroidery, along with much help from my mother-in-law, who also sewed it all up for me. Wearing this does make me feel a bit like a princess for a day! 


In the Roman Catholic Church-- A relatively quiet week in the Church... but tomorrow is the Feast Day of Our Lady of Fatima! And this year celebrates the 100th anniversary of this amazing Apparition of Our Lady with a message from God to three young children in Fatima, Portugal. Read here for the story and message.


At Home-- A lot more at home time, and not as much out & about, as it's been very chilly, grey and sometimes rainy. That taste of summer we had last week disappeared fast, and winter came back to visit... Garden view from our living room window. No time in the garden this week. 


On the Menu-- Soup weather this week, so I made this delicious Carrot & Fennel Soup, and paired it with some simple bread I baked, topped with Jarlsberg cheese before I placed it in the oven... mmm... ;)


Thankful-- For some quiet time this week to write in my journal, revise some plans for the spring/summer days ahead, make notes for creative projects, and write some cards to send and give. I do so much on my laptop, sends emails, read on my iPad... so much is digital.  It's always a special pleasure to take time offline to write--with paper and pen! 


Happy-- A little bit of love shows up in all kinds of places--the kitchen included!


Reading-- I have a big weakness for Amish fiction! Largely because the stories are just good, gentle reading from a Christian point of view, but also in that many books are set in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania--just a stone's throw from where I'm from back home in America. So reading them is often like a little taste of home. I've just downloaded for my Kindle a new series by author Suzanne Woods Fisher, Anna's Crossing, and its follow-up, The Newcomer... 

Listening-- Discovering a "new to me" Catholic blog and podcast-- Discerning Hearts!


Watching-- If Walls Could Talk: The History of the Home, a 4-part BBC TV series that explores four main rooms of the home through 800 years. Fascinating stuff! You can watch this via YouTube--here's a link to the first episode.



Creating-- Ah, but no...this isn't a bikini bottom! It's going to be a poncho! I'm crocheting this (for moi-self) from the neckline down, so just getting started. This is a VERY different color palette for me. Duck Egg Blue, Denim Blue, Tangerine, Violet Purple... Learning about and trying some different ways with color. Stretching beyond my color comfort zones, which usually contain my favorites pink or aqua blue. Harvest Song Granny Stripe Poncho, I'm calling it. The tangerine and purple make me think of things late summer--like flowers and berries, last days at the beach... Hoping my Raverly Projects Page is now working... 


Inspiration-- This is a view of the back of the bodice of my costume/bunad. It inspires me to want to do some embroidery again...


LUNA-- Our little cat-girl LOVES running up and down the stairs, running all through the house... I caught her on a break before she flew down the steps again! She is sooo much fun to watch... and she does the craziest things, which I'm not always fast enough to capture! 

How was your week? Wishing you all a LOVE-ly weekend now! :)))


Comments

  1. i love your list!
    that embroidery and the whole idea of a 'traditional national dress' is just enchanting.
    i've also been watching a lot of the BBC documentaries online. and dr. lucy worsley is a favorite host. i'll definitely follow that link. thank you.
    and little lively luna at the head of the stairs peering down! LOL! so sweet.
    XOXO♥ have a wonderful weekend darling girl of the north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tammy! And isn't Dr Lucy Worsley a bit of a cracker, she's so funny sometimes! I'd like to read one of her books now. She's just releasing a new book, Jane Austen At Home, so that's going on my to-read list for sure!

      Delete
  2. That bunad is quite a piece of intricate work. Glad you get to wear it for this special occasion. Thanks for the link to the BBC documentary. Something for a cozy night at home :-) I'm sorry spring has slipped away for a bit but hopefully you'll be getting more warmth soon. At least the grass and shrubs look green.

    Our soup and bread meals look perfect for that chilly weather. And your darling Luna -- there's nothing quite like having a young cat in the house. We call it the crazies when our cats do the racing-at-top-speed routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "crazies" that is a great for it, Anne... because these cat-critters of our do just that--go crazy... LOL! We've been gobbling up the BBC documentaries on YouTube, the history ones especially. I think you's like some of them too. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the view of your garden from the window! And your costume/bunad is gorgeous. I remember reading in my Almost Nearly Perfect People book about times when Norwegians dress in the national costume. I think it's very pretty. And the soup -- I'd devour it today in a heartbeat!

    Loving the BBC and watching Lucy Worsley's Henry VIII Six Wives series (again). Also, Victorian Slum. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie! Most all of the Scandinavian countries have traditional costumes as part of their cultural history. There are lots of costumes representing areas all over Norway. The costume is often worn on the National Day, May 17th, which is coming up next week. And it is often worn on special occasions like weddings, christenings, etc. I'm pretty lucky to be able to be allowed to have this/wear it. :)

      Delete
  4. how lovely!!! I do hope you have a wonderful time wearing that very beautiful dress! perhaps if a nice picture is taken of you wearing it, you can show us how it looks with the jewelry? either way, it's lovely! how many nice things you have had this week! Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to thank you for the fun link to the BBC history program, I watched the first one and really enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying the BBC history programs, Elizabeth! There are LOTS of them... perfect for your rest & recovery time! ;)

      Delete
  6. Your week sounds lovely. A nesting, winter sort of day with delicious soup, beautiful colors surrounding you in your crochet, Luna, peeking out the window (love), and church. The poncho will be lovely. Your Norwegian outfit, oh I would love to see you all dressed up as a princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week has been a lot about nesting, which is always enjoyable. But I have been missing the warm and sunshine. ;) Will have to see about a picture or two of me in the costume, and share next week...

      Delete
  7. Wow, I did love the bunad is so lovely! I can just imagine how you might feel like a princess in it. Could you post a photo of you wearing it?
    I really enjoyed reading about The Lady of Fatima. I remember reading about this many years ago. It was very interesting. We have some prophecy's of the last days and I sometimes can see that Russia will be part of it all. I think we could be in the last of the last days. I myself look forward to the 2nd coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
    Our rain stopped and we have had some very lovely days. Hope you get back to your warm and lovely days too.
    Your menu sounded yummy! I always love homemade soups no matter what time of year.
    I liked your quiet time moments. I am hoping tomorrow to get some quiet time too. I need to catch my journal up too.
    I too love Amish novels too. I like good Christian fiction. Since being on our mission, I haven't had time to read any; but plan too when our mission is completed.
    Thanks for the link to what you are watching. I will take a look at it.
    I love the colors of the poncho you are making. I love to crochet and actually need to make a baby blanket for my lastest Great Grandchild.
    Oh, you Luna is a cute one. I have always loved to watch kittens and cats play. I do love cats. We had a Himalayan named Willie for 18 years. He was so beautiful and I cried so much when he passed.
    Thanks for sharing another lovely post. Also, thank you for all of your thoughts on my blog and per email. I am so enjoying getting to know you. Blessings for a sweet weekend, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your long, lovely comment, LeAnn! :) Given all that's happening in our world these days, we can but wonder if we are heading for the End Times. :/ While I am looking forward to the second coming too, I do hope there is hope for us all to get it right, and love one another more, while we're still here!

      Delete
  8. I love your weekly catch up posts Tracy! Our days were nice and sunny and warm, but the rain has caught up with us now and I think we are in for a cold wet weekend. I love Books about the Amish, especially Christian novels like you are reading. I love Christian Contemporary novels also. One of my favourite authors is Francine Rivers. Love your traditional Bunad, and like LeAnn, would love to see a picture of you wearing it! Your wee little Luna is a real charmer. I would love a cat, but I don't think Mitzie would be well pleased with one. The television program looks familiar. I think I may have seen it. Its very good and I love the presenter Lucy Worsley, she's great and so cute! I moved out of my comfort zone with my latest granny square blanket and I am loving the colours. I think we can get a bit too comfortale sometimes. I hope you have a lovely weekend. Sending lots of love and hugs to you, TJ and Luna! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, too, for you long, sweet comment, Marie! Do hope you'll share your granny square blanket on your blog when you're done--would love to see! I like Francine Rivers books too. Sadly, Christian fiction is not a genre come by easily here at bookstores or libraries, so thank goodness for Amazon/Kindle! Since Mitzie is used to being top dog--literally!--and for so long now, I'm not sure she's be glad of a new addition to the family. Our hearts would love to take on another shelter cat, but our sensitive Luna wouldn't like too much. So one kitty at a time. :)

      Delete
  9. The embroidery is stunning, so beautiful! Have a good week! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tracy! The embroidery on you Bunad is absolutely beautiful! You are a woman of many talents. I so enjoyed your post with snippets of your life.

    We're experiencing cold weather here as well. I guess all the new spurts of nature need their rain. The nice thing about the rain is seeing all the glorious hues of green that result in the cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment