Northern Delights... light, landscape, art & culture











Northern light, landscape, art & culture... This past weekend, Saturday, was a day of many delights. A day of returning to a favorite place--Blaafarveværket. (Some of you who have been along the journey with me for a while might remember me sharing about this place in a previous blog "incarnation." The place holds a personal space in my heart, as it was one of the places we went to the first spring after I moved over here back in 2000, after a long, cold, snowy winter.) In a former life, Blaafarveværket was a cobalt mine--which at one time supplied 80% of the world's demand for cobalt blue pigment for a variety of things--and which was also a glass works. The mines, works, and workmens' houses, etc. are preserved. It's an experience of going back in time 200+ years. Nearby, Haugfossen waterfall, was essential for power for the cobalt works. Along with the preservation of the history of the place, it is situated in a place of great natural beauty. Beauty which drew artists and painters past, and present. For 40 years now, Blaafarveværket has been the site of an annual summer exhibition of art--Nordic, mostly, but European occasionally, too. Many, many a year now we have gone to see the summer exhibition. This year's exhibit, The Dream of a Garden, features outstanding paintings by Nordic artists (Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland) from mid-19th Century to the early 20th Century, musing on the theme of the garden. It was VERY special to be at this place, dear to us, and view this wonderful art. 

A step back in time... We walked in dream gardens rendered in paint. We ate pickled herring and red beets at an outdoor cafe near the top of the waterfall. The first sensations and sun of summer. We saw angels in the clouds. God in His glory among the trees, water, air... I hope we go back next year...








P.S. Stop by mid-week where the art appreciation will continue as I share about another smaller art exhibit we saw at the weekend...

Comments

  1. I'm just so enjoying all your posts Tracy, how lucky are you to have such a wonderful cultural place to visit. That waterfall looked so fast I could see how it would supply the power. I love pickled herrings. I used to make them but not so much now as it requires work in the kitchen ( ie a mess!) so I now prefer the store bought ones! Do you make them at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waterfall was very "full" of water this year--it was incredible! As much as I/we like pickled herring, it's not something I've made before. You can get all different kinds of pickled herring here--in an onion sauce, in a tomato-y sauce, in a curry sauce, in a mustard sauce--which are usually quite good. So I skip the mess too! ;)

      Delete
  2. If I ever get to Norway, I hope we can go there! This is such a beautiful spot and it sounds fascinating with its history. The art, too, is lovely (as is the photo of you by the art!). I love art that "tells stories" and this seems to. What a great excursion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Rick must come in the early summer, Jeanie...and we'll take you to Blaafarveværket! :) And in early summer, if you head out west, waterfalls should still be bursting with water falling down. The art exhibit was just wonderful. The canvases were telling stories. And that's the kind of art I like too. The joy of the garden was spoken in each piece.

      Delete
  3. I have loved this step back in time!
    so beautiful! the countryside olde town and all the paintings!
    and your sweet picture and seeing your hair! I think our Lord is happy
    that you took off the constant scarf! He probably smiles to see the love in your face
    and the beauty of your naturalness and your hair.
    not to mention I'm sure TJ appreciates it!
    and...
    the blog just gets better and better. I love it!
    and so special too seeing little Charlie up there sleeping. ♥
    love
    tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaawww...thank you for the sweetest comment, Tammy! I only wear a long head scarf at church. In every day, I sometimes wear a short, scrunched-up head scarf like shown here, although not necessarily every day. I think it pleases God. But it also helps hide the grays--I need to touch-up those silver roots showing. LOL... Vanity, one of those Deadly Sins, right?! ;)

      Delete
  4. The art exhibit of gardens would be a dream for me!
    Every time I see a photo of you, I notice how happy you seem to be. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a dreamy place to be, and dreamy art to see... We just love our (almost) annual trips to Blaafarveværekt! And thanks... We're in a pretty happy chapter of life here at the moment, and I guess it shows. :)

      Delete
  5. The food looked delicious. The trees, sights, and art so very special. How I would have loved walking there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been lovely have you with us, Marilyn, as I think this is a place you would have enjoyed too! It's just one of those special place that just has everything. It's amazing how a place can just "hold" everything, isn't it?!

      Delete

Post a Comment