This Week... taste and see


This Week and At Home... These days the preserving of the season's bounty continues... I've been making herbal vinegars. Here's some dill vinegar--very good for salads. Also a lavender vinegar. (The lavender vinegar will be strained and decanted into its own bottle after a few weeks.) Oh, and making some lavender honey! Just "steep" a somewhat neutral-flavored honey with dried lavender for several weeks, strain off the lavender flowers, and enjoy. Fragrantly yummy!

In the Roman Catholic Church-- This week we have a celebration day linked to the Blessed Virgin Mary as well as many Feast Days of saints. The Feast Day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, St. Camillus de Lellis, St. Apollinaris of Ravenna, St. Lawrence of Brindisi, and tomorrow the Feast Day of St. Mary Magdalen.


Out & About-- Mid-week I shared about the art of Swedish watercolor painter Lars Lerin, from an art exhibit we went to see during our staycation. I have MORE from our staycation, and will share two fun out & abouts. 


On the Menu-- Rosemary from the garden. I made this simple but very, very delicious cheese-filled tortellini with a sauce of browned butter and sage, garnished richly with Parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper... YUM! 


More On the Menu-- A delicious pre-taste of autumn with a venison stew! We were blessed with the gift of some frozen venison meat from one of our family who hunts. Our stew is based on this Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew recipe, but we used venison (a cut of deer meat from the thigh) instead of beef, and used venison-friendly herbs--bay, rosemary and parsley.


Happy and Thankful-- for this lovely little book The Prayers of Jane Austen, which was given to me by my parents for my birthday this past December. Within these pages is a tender revelation of a woman confident in God, who had a strong Christian faith and dedicated prayer life. 


In the Garden-- The hydrangea has just come into bloom! 

Reading-- The Summer Book by Tove Jansson... and Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen--his autobiography! :) 

Listening-- The 2017 BBC Proms season is now in full swing--the world's largest and greatest classical music festival! We listen daily via internet. 

Watching-- Lost Highway: The Story of Country Music. A three-part series chronicling American country music from its early Bluegrass roots, the pop-influenced country-rock of the 1980's & 1990's, to the younger generation of artists of today who are trying to bring back the rich history of its original sounds. We love the Bluegrass style of country! ** A note about this YouTube link. Sadly, only two of the videos in the series have film and sound. Unfortunately, the second film has video, but no sound. :( 

Creating-- I'm between projects at the moment, and so, oddly, this week's inspiration segment has a BIG gap! :/ 


LUNA-- See our little baby there?! Our little fur-angel likes to snooze on the jumbo floor pillow in my sewing room... 


Weekend-- We've been having some warmer temperatures, so I've been making cold drinks. Herbal water has been a great favorite at our house this summer. Here we have water (sparkling water can be used too) flavored with lemon slices and fresh herbs of lemon balm and mint. Served over ice, this is sooo refreshing and invigorating!  

How was your week? Wishing you all a LOVE-ly weekend now! :)))


Comments

  1. I love mint water. SO refreshing! And I love each and every entry in this post, including the lovely Luna on her cushion! The tortellini and stew look delicious and fun to hear about your vinegars and honey. Gorgeous garden, much joy here.

    I love the proms but we don't hear them till well after. Oh, and Jane Austen -- loads of wonderful posts on Jane Austen this week. (Let me know if you want links!) Very fun to learn more about one of my favorites! Happy weekend, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo... yes, pealse do send those Jane links, Jeanie--much appreciated! It being a big anniverary year there's lots of goodies for us Janites! :)

      Delete
  2. that Austen book looks neat! lovely things you are making! that infused cold water sounds delicious! have a peaceful light-filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth... a love, peace, light, and delight-filled weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, how I love tortellini (and miss it!). That looks scrumptious, so plump and full of flavor.

    I was given that same Jane Austin's prayer book, too - it was surprising to see it in your photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that it a treasure of a little book... it's just such a sweet, comforting read! :) So sorry you can't do pasta, my friend... :( I don't think I could live without pasta... LOL! Have you tired any of the gluten-free pasta available now?

      Delete
  4. oh this was a treasure of a post for me!
    first those beautiful paintings again... and then the china in the picture with your wonderful looking stew! that was the same china my grandmother had in NY. I think it was haviland. but I might be mistaken. all I know is I always loved it. and that picture of it with your delicious looking stew brought tears to my eyes!
    and then the simplicity and beauty of the infused water with lemon and fresh mint! OH MY!
    and of course the tiny always-a-little-kitten Luna. that just tops it for me!
    have a blessed weekend. xo♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Tammy... what fun to share such memories! Do you know anything about this china pattern? For many years my Mom and I have been trying to find the actual name of the floral pattern of these bowls, made by Haviland-Limoges. We have a set of 4 of these lovely bowls. Would love to find something else in this pattern. I'm sending you an email... :)))

      Delete
  5. loving your herbal creations! And the pasta dish ... oh my! Little Luna looking snugly too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love these weekly catch up posts Tracy! It is a lovely little glimpse into what is your beautiful life Eveyrthing looks so delicious of course!!! I adore that china pattern. It is so very pretty! How fun that we both love Bluegrass music. That is Todd's and my favourite genre also. I love Ricky Skaggs and Allison Kraus, especially her earlier stuff. It must speak to my celtic roots. what a lovely gift from your parents! I can only imagine what the prayers of Jane Austin might be like. I will have to look for the book and maybe gift myself with a copy sometime! Love all that you share dear friend, your heart is in every word. Love YOU!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder too, Marie! He's good at helping to keep the old styles alive. We like Alison Kraus too, her early work is especially good. You will like the prayer book... do treat yourself. ;)

      Delete
  7. Herbal waters and vinegars sound delicious! Sweet little Luna. What a special book from your parents. I hadn't heard of that one. And the hydrangea is just a lovely color. I do love hydrangea's so much. Thanks for sharing all with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment