Dill ...fresh from the garden





Some good garden days lately, which is why I've been scarce here... We are just soaking up this good summer in every way, summer tastes included. Here's more garden goodies to share! Fresh dill... mmm... Don't you just love fresh dill?!

Before the dill in one of our raised garden beds bolted from crazy bush and went into flower, I cut down most of it and made dill pesto and preserving it for later. Dill pesto is a beautiful topping or sauce for pasta, as well as an ideal companion to fish and seafood dishes. It also pairs well with beans, cucumbers and tomatoes.  

Dill Pesto --makes about 3/4 cup

1 1/2 cups fresh dill leaves, packed
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
2 heaped tablespoons pine nuts
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
2 heaped tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Place the dill, parsley, nuts and garlic in a food processor. Blitz until finely chopped. Add the cheese and oil, and process until well blended. Cover and keep chilled until use. 1-2 weeks in the fridge. Pesto also freezes well. 

** the zest of one lemon added to the pesto makes a lovely and delicious variation **

And did you know you can freeze herbs?! Herbs with a high water content--dill, basil, mint and many others--are great to freeze fresh for later use. Just lay clean, cut herbs on a baking tray and freeze for several hours. Once frozen, pop the herbs into a plastic zippered bag, or other air tight container, and keep frozen until use. After the herbs are frozen, they are quite soft, but they still keep their fresh flavor and integrity. 

Do you have a favorite recipe using dill, or any other herb?!


Comments

  1. and it's beautiful! it's one of my favorite herbs.
    the pasta dish looks delicious. and so healthy!
    have a wonderful summer week dearest girl of the north. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dill pesto is sooo good, Tammy! In a way I actually prefer it to basil pesto... I like dill pesto and parsley pesto best. So easy to make in one's own kitchen... and tastes miles better than the ready-made stuff in jars!

      Delete
  2. lovely!!! it's so nice to have a garden and be able to have such wonderful things!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our home and garden... two of our most cherished blessings! :) We have be so fortunate and blessed with a good summer, a good growing season to be able to enjoy bounty plucked from our own patch. Already dreaming of what we can grown next year!

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious. You have been busy preserving the best of summer. I hope to have a herb garden next year, as I've missed having fresh herbs at hand. Enjoy the season. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY much hoping your garden dream comes true, Marie... now that ypu have a new place to dream and grow in! :)

      Delete
  4. Next year I'm planting more dill. If I''d known about this fabulous sounding recipe in the spring, I would have planted a ton of it then. Never thought of dill pesto but I'll bet it tastes so fresh and clean -- I love dill! Thanks, Tracy. And by the way, I love the photographs. They're just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jeanie--on MORE dill! ;) The dill pesto is just sooo good... and great with lighter spring/summer dishes. Must say, I do like these photos too. Usually, I'm very critical about my photos, and often times not 100% satisfied with them. But these I like! Since shortly after the new year I've been using my phone for pictures, and I'm still getting used to it... :/ Nice and easy, though!

      Delete
    2. Your Dill Pesto looks gorgeous Tracy! I dry mine to use all through the winter months. I use it a lot in salad dressings and sauces, etc. Your photographs are gorgeous! I like the pictures my phone takes also! Love and hugs. xoxo

      Delete
    3. I'd never considered dill in a pesto -- sounds very interesting! My favorite use of fresh dill is in a Vietnamese dish that involves turmeric, fish sauce, and a fermented shrimp paste that's used to marinate white fish. The fish is pan-fried with green onions, big fists-full of dill, and yellow onions.

      Delete
    4. This shows my ignorance, of course, but I didn't know that dill was used much in the Asian kitchen, Anne. That fish dish sounds AMAZING! I'd like try making a version of that... Thanks so mich for sharing! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh thank you dear friend for the recipe; I will try it. I didn't know you cold freeze some herbs; that's good to know. Loved the photos and you are an inspiring gardener.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love using dill and we planned to grow it this year, but not sure it is there. I haven't noticed. Dill pesto actually sounds more appealing than basil pesto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dill pesto is lovely, lighter somehow than basil pesto. We have some carrots growing, and I might try carrot-top pesto before ths seasons's over! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment