Summer Vegetable Bake




It doesn't look like much, but this tastes VERY good! Though I used supermarket vegetables for this dish, while making it I imagined what we could be growing in our own garden next year... that maybe I could make this with our own vegetables! 

This recipe was made as I went along, using up some vegetables before they went off at the end of the week, when the fridge was a bit bare, and we needed to shop for some fresh food. We ate this as a meat-free Friday main meal. With Italian herbs in the mix, I served this with an Italian-style tomato sauce (like for pizza), and with some homemade bread I'd baked earlier. I used a pre-packaged/shredded Italian cheese blend of Parmesan,  Mozzarella, etc. But lots of flexibility for flavors in this simple recipe. Leftovers taste even better the next day for lunch!

Summer Vegetable Bake

1 zucchini squash/courgette, grated
2-3 small-medium carrots, peeled & grated
3 small-medium potatoes, peeled & grated
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 heaped teaspoons dried Italian herb mix (or other herb/spice mix... lemon pepper mix, Tex-Mex spice mix...use your favorite mix)
fresh ground salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheese, save a little to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven 200 C / 400 F. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture into an oiled oven-proof baking dish. Sprinkle a little cheese on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.


This summer of some successes in our garden has me already dreaming about next year's garden! And with that, I've been doing a lot of reading about how to grow more of our own food to eat, and according to the seasons. With so many foods in our supermarkets available all year round now, truly seasonal cooking gets a bit blurred. And here in Norway, a lot of our food is imported most of the year. More locally produced food options are becoming more and more accessible, which is great. Seasons for most veg and fruit is quite short, though. Imported strawberries available in January, which usually don't taste of anything, feels completely unnatural. The June/July strawberry, in its season, tastes all the more delicious for the wait! Thinking more about what would be available now is something I'm trying to rewire my brain towards. Not what the supermarket tells me, but what's grown and when in a year's cycle, and enjoying it in that season. Living more with the tastes of the seasons, and celebrating each one.

What are your favorite tastes of the season?!


Comments

  1. I love your thoughts here and it's so true. we appreciate them all the more if we only eat them when they're normally ripe! not imported and transported from miles and miles away!
    to live more naturally in the seasons. a simpler and more satisfying way I think.
    and also... I think your casserole looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! The casserole is a nice idea, and came be made a lot of different ways with changes of herbs, spice... even mixing it up and using different vegetables, or only root veggies when in season. It's not always easy being a consumer. And being mindful and strong of convictions is hard when faced with temptations... LOL! We have delicious apples here, and lots of good orchards around the country. But those "local" apples are in the shops so briefly. The rest of the year, the apples in the shops are all imported. We've had veg all the way from New Zealand! It boggles the mind... :/

      Delete
  2. oh delicious! and looks so yummy! I love your creativity! and pretty pictures too! yay!!! have a wonderful day!!! (HUGS) back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because our summers are so much hotter (and longer), I have made a variation on your vegetable bake on the stovetop -- stirfry veggies cut in about the same size, add ground beef for protein, top with cheese (Muenster was my fave), cover so that cheese will melt, then serve. It's surprisingly satisfying and works with Brussels sprouts to cabbage to mixed greens. Unfortunately, I've had to do 1/2 cheese since I'm off dairy.

    I love summer fruits. Right now, it's ripe peaches and strawberries. So richly flavored when in season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your version sounds VERY good, Anne! I like the idea of adding some protein to make it more of a complete meal! :) We've been enjoying LOTS of strawberries this season, including some of our own, which has been great treats! Peaches is very hit and miss, mostly miss, as they are imported, and under-ripe and seems sadly tasteless from most supermarkets. I miss the preaches from back home...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! Your vegetable bake has me salivating. I love the idea of eating seasonally and having a self-sustaining garden. I'd love to do that someday. Looks like you have some wonderful future garden plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Him Juana,,, Yes, I have some big gardening ideas, but we'll go slow, give things a try, and see how it goes... ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow, I loved your thoughts on this one. I agree that it is good to eat fruits and vegetables in season. I think the flavor is better for sure. We do grow some strawberries that bloom once a year.
    Right now we have an apple tree that is producing well. I just need the time to do something with them. I would like to make some applesauce.
    Thanks for your vegetable casserole recipe; it looks delicious. With the prices of food around here; we do need to do gardens. I hope we can do that next year when we are off our mission.
    I enjoy your blog soooo much! Have a continued blessed month of August. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, LeAnn... and thanks! Food prices are high here too, and it's hard save sometimes. We don't have coupons here, or other types of savers like that, like back home in the US. One really has to hunt around for good prices, and that is time consuming. We're really like to try growing more, even if it just helped us through the summer with fresh food. Applesauce... mmm... I love applesauce too. I'm hoping to make some apple butter during the autumn soon. :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds delicious and is such a great way to use up vegetables. As for tastes of summer, strawberries are a perennial favourite and new potatoes, which are available fresh from a local farm. Happy cooking! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, new potatoes... another summer treat...mmm... :)))

      Delete
  7. This looks delish! What a good (and creative) way to eat down the fridge!

    Ah, summer foods -- toasted tomato and basil sandwiches with either guac (for spicier) or mayo (more routine.) Bacon optional! Cold (or grilled) shrimp. Lemon anything. Corn on the cob. Strawberries in June, black cherries in July, sweet peaches in August! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... I'll take all of those tastes too, Jeanie... and with bacon on the side, yes, please. ;) LOL...

      Delete
  8. That looks so healthy, nutritious and delicious! Yes cooking more seasonally has to be better for both us and the environment. I'm enjoying growing and eating the things from the garden, especially fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo grat to see you here! :) cooking with lots of fresh herbs has been a great treat here for us too this spring/summer... I just love popping out and clipping something while the pot bubbles happily...

      Delete
  9. I am a great believer in seasonal eating Tracy, as you know. Like you I don't appreciate or enjoy winter berries not near as much as I do the ones in the summer months that are fresh and local, and yes, homegrown being the best of all! Oh I wish we had good soil in our garden for growing veg, but alas we do not. Your vegetable casserole looks positively gorgeous. I am going to try that! Thanks! Love and hugs to you all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment