Autumn Omelette... with chanterelle mushrooms and vegetables


We've had a DELICIOUS treat of beautiful chanterelles! These wild mushrooms--gold of the forest they are, with their pretty golden trumpet shapes. And, I'm sorry, but I forgot to take a photo of the mushrooms, I was so eager to get them home and I knew what I wanted to cook with them. We purchased the mushrooms at our local supermarket, and for quite a good price. They can be expensive sometimes. I love chanterelles! They have a wonderful almost floral aroma, reminiscent of apricots, and a lovely peppery, nutty, buttery flavor. With the box of mushrooms, I made an omelette, using up some broccoli and cauliflower, and which I served with a big spoonful of stewed tomatoes (tomatoes cooked with finely diced onion and celery in butter) and homemade bread. A very easy, hearty autumn evening meal or weekend lunch. If chanterelles are difficult for you to find, most any mushroom can be substituted.


Autumn Omelette --makes 4 generous portions

1 cup chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned (but do NOT wash with water!) and roughly chopped
3/4 cup pre-cooked broccoli
3/4 cup pre-cooked cauliflower
4 eggs, lightly beaten

2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup shredded mild cheese
salt & pepper, to taste

In a large, shallow pan, heat the butter 
over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook in the butter until softened. Stir in the vegetables. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, adding parsley and seasoning to taste. Pour the eggs into the pan, and turn down the heat to medium heat. Allow the eggs to become firm, but don't overcook. Sprinkle cheese on top. If your pan has a lid, cover with the lid, which helps the cheese melt a little faster.

Mushrooms and foraging... I think I need to add that to my list for next year! ;)


Comments

  1. I really like a good omelette. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am going to see I can find the mushrooms you used. I do like mushrooms in my omelettes.
    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous plate. I do like mushrooms but I don't see chantrelles often. You describe them like a wonderful food writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie! I'm no writer, really, but I can aspire to that art. ;) You know, I'd actually never eaten chanterelles before I lived over here. They can be found in North America, I know, but I never had them when living in PA. I think one needs to go into the forests to find them, as they are not often part of many grocery store selections most places back home there. A richer-tasting, "meaty" mushroom like porcini, cremini, baby bella mushrooms could work in place of the chanterelles.

      Delete
  3. I never tire of omelets! the fillings are so easy and fun to change up.
    like some of the others I have never eaten the chanterelles that i'm aware of anyway!
    your description of their scent and flavor was wonderful!
    I also have never served them with the stewed tomatoes ... fresh tomato slices yes but not with the stewed with onions etc.
    it sounds divine! so now I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omelettes are wonderful--so many variations, and tasty way to use what's in season! Fresh tomatoes on summer, stewed tomatoes during autumn/winter! ;)

      Delete
  4. delicious!!!! yum! well done! A beloved food found for a good price is such a joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth! I'm not much for shopping in general, nor really believe in "shopping therapy" and that kind of thing... But give me a good deal at the supermarket and I'm very happy... LOL! ;)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of foraging, but am so afraid to eat what I find, just in case its not what I think it is. I know, what am I like! Your omelet looks very delicious. Love all of the vegetables and the idea of serving it with home stewed tomatoes! Very nice! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes a little bit of courage, I think, to forage--and eat! Must get some fungi/mushroom books to learn a bit more. What's nice is that during the late summer/early autumn here there are a couple of experts offering advice fungi, and you can take your finds to have them identified. Much safer that way! The stewed tomatoes really works well with this recipe--just a nice little side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat with chantrelle mushrooms! I occasionally see them at the market, but not often and quite expensive; but oh so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mushroom season can be brief, so it's great to enjoy while we can!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful sight! The Forest has a lot of mushrooms. A local expert was in touch with Kew Gardens this week to confirm a rare one. I fing fungi fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fungi is a VERY interesting topic within nature...something I'd like to know more about.

      Delete

Post a Comment