Here we are in February now, and continuing our Make Do and Mend Year... And we're still working/journalling with this free workbook, A Make Do and Mend Year Sustainable Planner--for setting monthly goals for sustainable living--from My Make Do and Mend Life. Each month offers a topic of focus for living in more sustainable ways.
The topic for February is FOOD ...NO Food Waste ...and I'm adding to this Water Conservation.
Food waste is an increasing global problem. Everything from improper food storage, lack of meal planning which generates too much food bought and spoiled, lack of food education, value of food and respect for the life cycle of food, bad infrastructure, and much more, all creates an incredible amount of food being wasted each year in countries of the developed world--especially in the United States and Europe. A third of the world's food is lost or wasted. That's a LOT! Hunger and poverty are real issues. And not just in developing countries. Many in those same countries with high levels of food waste in the developed world have people living in poverty and going hungry.
Some sad and scary food waste statistics and charts found here, here, and here.
Our No FOOD WASTE and WATER CONSERVATION Goals and Actions for February:
1. SUPER-FOCUSED meal planning, list-making, and shopping.
2. SHOP at HOME... shop our freezer and pantry cupboard first before going to the supermarket.
3. TREATS at HOME... make all meals at home, making meals and treats at home, avoiding any extra stops at stores or impulse buys, no take-aways or convenience food, etc.
4. USE IT UP... see leftovers and scraps as a creative meal-planning challenge. Scrap soup!
5. WATER CONSERVATION... be very mindful of water consumption and use of it, save some "grey" water for other use--water plants, etc.
6. FAST... in solidarity with whose who, sadly, may not have enough to eat or drink, and in offering of thanks to God for the food and water and other abundance we have.
Do you have a special project or focus for this month, or for the year? Do you have any tips or ideas to share?!