"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
--Native American Proverb
Here we are now in March, and another month to continue our Make Do and Mend Year. Following along with the Make Do and Mend Year Sustainable Planner (from My Make Do and Mend Life), the topic for March is-- FAMILY
This Make Do and Mend family topic mainly focuses on families with children and all the STUFF and things that can come with having a family with children. While we don't have children, we have enough STUFF accumulated between the two of us and one kitty cat! :/ So adapting ideas for this month...
Our FAMILY Goals and Actions for March:
1. NO SHOPPING... reviving January's no shopping actions, spend no money on STUFF. Only necessities--like food. Will have some food/drink treats for Easter soon.
2. AVOID SHOPPING CENTERS... pairing with no shopping above, no malls/shopping centers + no shopping = NO STUFF!! Just don't go...
3. NEED vs WANT... understand and be very clear about the differences between the two. Want less. Be happy with less. Appreciate needs that are met.
4. STUFF-LESS FUN... again, taking a few more pieces from our thrive with less January, enjoy free or inexpensive entertainments and other treats that don't involve buying more stuff.
5. SPRING CLEAN... we're in the midst of a big home spring clean during Lent now, and this month's Make Do and Mend challenge fits in so nicely now! Weed out what is not used or no longer needed and donate/share with others how my find these things useful. A pair of new pillows for sleep will be purchased soon, as well as some baskets for better storage. But in all, things are good here and we don't need more.
6. GRATITUDE... practice extra gratitude for what we have already...happy with less... Why would we need more??!!
We did pretty good with last month's No Food Waste / No Water Waste challenge... so we're excited to try this one!
Do you have a special project or focus for this month, or for the year? Do you have any tips or ideas to share?!